COVID-19 causes a mild illness in many people. But some people may be at higher risk for having severe symptoms from COVID-19. A recent study found that 88% of hospitalized COVID-19 patients had more than one chronic condition,* and other factors can also increase your risk.
You may be at high risk if you:
- Are 65 or older
- Live in a long-term care facility
- Have an ongoing serious health condition, such as:
- Lung disease or asthma
- Heart conditions
- High blood pressure
- Severe obesity
- Kidney or liver disease
- A weakened immune system
- Cancer treatment
- Smoke or vape tobacco/nicotine or marijuana (Kaiser Permanente members can get help quitting
If you have an ongoing health condition, here are some ways you can help keep yourself safe.
- Stay home as much as you can.
- Have supplies on hand, like food, household items, medical supplies, and over-the-counter and prescription medications.
- Routinely clean and disinfect